Is a FREE or DIY Website Solution Enough For The Serious Business?
FREE and DIY Website solutions are advertised as the answer to a small business owners’ prayers. Their argument is a top solution for little to no cost. From the ‘just getting started small business owner’ all the way to the ‘most discerning business owner’ – FREE is certainly interesting.
But can FREE support a serious marketer? What are the “hidden” costs in these solutions (i.e. Wix, Squarespace, GoDaddy Central, Web.com)? What are the limitations?
Businesses have so many challenges, none greater than building a relevant brand. What are the likely realities of FREE or DIY?
Top 10 Things to Consider Before Using a FREE or DIY Website
- What is the investment of time in a ‘learning curve’ with a free solution?
- Does its’ user own anything, the website or its web footprint, with a free solution?
- Does its’ user own or control her own content with a free solution?
- Does a free website provider run its own brand or potentially competitive advertising on the website in order to monetize what is supposedly free?
- Is there any support if something goes wrong with a free solution?
- Is there any accountability to a particular businesses requirements with a free solution?
- Are there legitimate search engine optimization tools, including that advance when search engines advance, with a free solution?
- Browsers, Search Engines, Google always evolve… what is a free website solutions’ incentive to keep up?
- Will free website solutions change their policies to a users’ detriment?
- Are all necessary features and applications, plus any flexibility for their customization, available to the average business with a free solution?
Can business assets such as a BRAND be trusted to FREE services? If there are genuine business requirements it may NOT only be useful, but cost-effective to look into website ownership and a genuinely vested interest in webmaster support. And let’s not forget the age old reality that marketing agencies exist to offer a breadth of experience in business strategy and brand promotion.