Does Your Business Have An Accurate Directory Listings Profile
Most business owners find that creating an accurate consistent directory listings profile is too overwhelming a project to thoroughly complete. Not to mention, no one enjoys going through a verification process one directory listing website after another. And while no one signal wins the local SEO battle, in what is a very competitive web environment, listings & citations do matter!
It is important to understand that information inconsistency a) will often confuse consumers and b) be counted by search engines as a negative signal. Listings are an important local search ranking signal, but often they are left untouched due to the overwhelming task at hand. One must work through each one then be prepared for an ongoing (one by one) management process. So get your NAP/ business name, address, phone, website link, even hours of operation consistent between the website and (at least the obvious) relevant business listings. By doing so, your online presence will present as reliable to search engine algorithms. That’s right, search engines cross-reference information on directory listings they trust with your website.
4 out of 5 consumers search locally (according to Google), so listings & citations matter when it comes to your business being found. NAP stands for name, address, and phone number, but at minimum assume it includes a website link and hours of operation. Listing sites like Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yelp.com and/or Superpages.com can matter! In fact, anywhere your NAP is mentioned – that is considered a citation. If your NAP is on a town or an association website – that is a citation.
The Downside Of Directory Listings & Citations
Maintaining consistent and accurate listings is time-consuming. Going through each listing one by one and completing the following can take more time than most business owners have or wish to commit. To accomplish a consistent listing/citation profile you’ll need to:
- Create business listings at leading directory sites, one by one and each via a verification process.
- Create a Google my business profile, including listing, which is the no. 1 most important listing!
- Create a Facebook business page.
- Clean-up inconsistencies and in any existing citations you have setup.
- Prepare to manage these listings, one by one, as is necessary.
- Find and build niche (e.g. your associations) and/or location-specific citations (e.g. town directories).
- OR, if budget allows, find a service that offers Search & Directory Listings Management.
Listings & Citations Pay Off
While it can be a long and tedious project (or an outsourced cost), having a complete and accurate citation profile is good for business! It’s not the whole picture, so far as search engines go, but your business will see an improvement in local rankings once everything is in order.
The Importance Is Clear
So if it wasn’t clear before, accurate business listings are valuable signals in the local ranking of your business. The competition is always coming online, so it is necessary to consider getting an accurate listing/citation profile. If the time necessary is too much we can help with Listing Plans, Fundamental Local SEO, broader SEO & Social Media Plans. If listings are all that is needed, have a look at our Kinetic Knowledge Search & Directory Listings Management Plan
- To get the most important citations accurate & consistent (59-60)
- To gather website back-links
- To generate review alerts
- To be able to update or change information immediately across all listings when things change
- To add enhanced service & management profiles, including images and back-links AND
- More… have a look and please do not hesitate to ask any questions at all.