Using Search Optimization When Building A New Website?
Creating a new website is an exciting time for a business. A website is where company design, aesthetics, and imagery can define & differentiate its unique brand; it is in-depth information on the company, its products, services, features, benefits, and ultimately what this unique brand offers the public. But a serious business person must ask, “what about search optimization when building a new website?”
Just building a website doesn’t mean anyone will find it. Built right with SEO in mind, website pages can compete for visibility and become powerful marketing tools! To chase competitive search engine placement requires planning a fundamental SEO strategy. It’s an effort that’s not necessarily done with a new website. Not if there is competition, but it all starts with website content!
User Experience | Search Optimization When Building a New Website
A well-structured website supports both user experience and, thereby, competitive search engine indexing. While a website should be pleasing to the eye, there are other important marketing considerations when building your useful pages:
- Content Structure > search engines crawl pages for their keywords, so pages structured well with URL, headers, metadata, and proper keyword placement (throughout) is crucial!
- Mobile Responsive > user experience is priority number one with search engines, people search with their phones so a website MUST be mobile-friendly!
- Navigation > search engines don’t only count inbound links from other websites, they count relevant in-website links that offer visitors a path to other useful website pages! > search engines also measure how long visitors stay and how many pages they visit, so ease for navigating all information must be a priority!
- Outbound Links: search engines like to see references, a link here & there to other useful sources of information can matter!
- Host & Load Speeds > while most of the competition won’t deliver it, search engines measure speed; a fast website host will serve visitor experience with fast page load times!
- Security > search engines also crawl pages for malware in order to protect their searching surfers, so be sure it is protected against malware or assume you will be thrown out of the index!
- SSL > Secure socket layers encrypt web browser to website connections, so nothing can follow people in from one to the other!
What To Optimize Before Building a New Website
Competition will always come, so SEO is never static and certainly an ongoing process. But the groundwork must be laid in order to prepare a website for search engine crawling & keyword indexing. Here are some things that need optimization before the site launch.
- Using Keywords In URLs – Search engines focus heavily on keywords and indexing them via their page URLs. They also consider those used in the URL itself! Make sure page URLs help to describe what each page has to offer. Fix this after the fact, your page starts all over and what was indexed is lost!
- Title and Meta Data – Much easier and less damaging to change after the fact than a URL, you must still consider the time it takes to index competitively. It’s why you want to try and be sure your keywords are available to search engines early and in the clearest possible fashion. Keep your page meta titles straightforward, easy to identify, and keyword-friendly!
- Responsive Design – Simply stated, your website must be mobile-friendly! It is no small project to convert an existing site to a mobile-friendly site. Therefore, why not start from the beginning with a mobile-friendly website design!?
- Optimize Photos and Videos – Using properly tagged graphics, photos and video supports the aesthetics of the website, but is also an important part of any SEO strategy. Using the right file names & alt tags will not only generate more indexing and search engine visibility for content, but optimal photo sizes also support page loads speed!
- Create Link Structures For The Crawl – Your link structure needs to make sense, a path that can be followed by search engines. In other words, content must flow in a logical manner.
- Social Sharing > Social voice matters and the search engine’s ability to measure how often a page has been shared by visitors on the page via social icons with share counts makes their job much easier!
- Measurement Software – And don’t rule out supporting software, like day-to-day keyword rank measurement and fundamental page SEO grading solutions.
Not planning SEO with a website design & development project may cause a business to miss out on important ranking opportunities. At Kinetic Knowledge we can help build a new, or convert an old, website into a new user, mobile, and search engine friendly design.