Why Bother With A Business Listings Directory?
Getting your business’ Name, Address, Phone number (NAP), and any other details into business listings can not only improve visibility to random searching leads but improve local SEO for a website. NAP (including hours of operation) information is routinely cross-referenced against a website’s own NAP information for local info-consistency by search engine algorithms. And while backlinks are only one ranking signal for websites and their pages, according to Moz research listing directories and local citations are still a ranking factor that can matter competitively for the local business.
The Top Local Business Directories ( 18 )
- Google My Business – Simply the most visible listing information, bar none and by far
- Bing Places – A lot of people use MSFT devices and they are being pushed towards Bing Search, Bing Images, and Bing listings
- Facebook – FB business pages are a lot of things, including important contact information and website back-links
- Apple Maps/ Siri, unless you register directly which can be a headache, draws on a few databases including its own Apple Maps, also Google for the lion’s share, and Bing for image-related search data
- Amazon/ Alexa – not so much a directory and really for when folks use an Alexa device, but Alexa draws upon its own and also Bing search results, but is believed to trail in terms of its’ local search results
- Yahoo – still relevant!
- Yelp – they developed a bad rap for using bad reviews as a sales tool “quid pro quo” if you will, but ‘bad rap’ and all and they still matter
- Yellow Pages
- Chamber Of Commerce
- Better Business Bureau
Concerns With Business Directories
- Some directories will already have the business listing in their database, but even if not it will require registration and then some form of verification process that can take a lot of valuable time;
- There are so many local business directories the value (in general) may be diluted to irrelevant with the ‘people that search’;
- There are so many directories that search engines may not value the listing content or its’ backlinks;
- Very few directories get big traffic, so it is hard to know which directories truly matter or how much;
- The directory business model is typically to sell upgrades & advertising, potentially leaving a free registered listing in an obscure place;
- It is difficult to know which directory will value the listing content and which will abuse it as an opportunity to redirect visitors to other content AND
- In order for folks to give you a review, they will be forced to register personal accounts … discouraging many.
Listing Services And Local SEO
With Local SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for Small Business, we’re talking about getting visible to qualified shopping consumers in a locally specific geographic area, including voice-driven search. Kinetic Knowledge is a small to medium-sized business digital marketing agency offering expert SEO, Copywriting & Blogging and Social Media Marketing and Directory Listings Management. Ask us about getting your business listings under control and completely optimal today!