Maximizing A Return On Business Blogging?
Based upon questions we’ve been getting, no time is better than now to review the very best practices for your business blogging. And while there are never ‘search engine rank guarantees’, not as more and more competitors emerge daily with their own strategies, we see clients all over North America achieve search engine visibility success leveraging their business blogs every day! When used with discipline, best practices will maximize the short and long term value of the effort! And by the way, never ever underestimate the value in being appealing to humans!
The Best Business Blogging Practices!
1. Have your target keywords list ready! Ultimately you want to impress people with your business blogging, but in order to capture them in the search engines you have got to be visible for the phrases they will search!
2. Create strategic post titles! Search engines and humans typically want different things out of a title; to be successful you must strive to please them both. One of the the first things a search spider will encounter when crawling a new post is it’s title, so be specific enough for spiders to identify its purpose. Yet, be brash enough to attract people’s attention as well!
3. Leverage your content! Search engine spiders tend to look for phrase consistencies in titles and also high in page copy. Random spider crawls also digest more content toward the top of a page or post. So create compelling first paragraphs that include your target keywords. Don’t overuse keywords or use them out of context because search engine algorithms have filters to flag this behavior. What’s more, too much keyword duplication is also just boring for humans.
4. Gather and add good links! When competing for search rank links remain an important signal, including those you create to other content of your own. Links matter most when relevant to the purpose of a post and also when they come from a trusted source. The best way to generate links organically from others is to create content others will appreciate enough to link back too. Consider notifying news sources that might be interested because they may link to you. Creating links to relevant articles you have already written, essentially voting for those pages yourself, is a proven signal. Whether creating or receiving links, it’s always best to have them laid into descriptive anchor text /copy. Search engines prefer anchor text based links! If your page is about widgets and the link comes from text such as ‘the top widgets’ – search engines will value that more than they would links from ‘go here’ or ‘go to tomswidgetshop.com‘.
5. Use Proper Formatting! Most readers qualify whether or not they will read deeper into your post in a second. It’s imperative you make it simple for them to decide. Use simple formatting and a clean layout for every blog post. Bold section titles, bullets and numbers are a great way to call attention to emphasis points. Fonts should be uniform throughout, with photos and links well placed. If it’s a train wreck for the eye, people will not give it a chance.
6. Add Images & Video when possible! Search engines place emphasis on alternative image and video content, so they are actually separate competitive visibility opportunities to text based content. Use proper tagging, as well as descriptive text, techniques so that these images and video are easily understood and working to generate competitive indexing.
7. Add ‘Call to Action’ & Contact Information! A call to action like, ‘Please, Use Our Complimentary Santa Barbara Online Property Search’, linked to that resource drives greater engagement. And in case they’re ready, be sure to have contact information easily accessible! Remember, most people do not want to be a part of a conversation; if they’re interested, most will call or email direct!
8. Maximize the number of places blog posts and the brand appear! Social Networks typically offer posting and while placing blog posts or excerpts of them aren’t going to present a brand exclusively, they certainly offer you an opportunity to be visible to people who may want the information, related product or service. Many allow for [branded] blog posts to automatically appear via feed, eliminating the need to duplicate the effort in two or more places. Focus on as much visibility in as many places as possible, but do it with the intention of bringing prospects back to where an opportunity to capture them is best. For instance, Twitter is not the brand… but it can be used to get people there !
Looking for affordable help with an effective website, business blogging, content and/ or managed WordPress? Kinetic Knowledge is a leading WordPress Management Service.